The University of Iowa Libraries

The University of Iowa Libraries

ArchivesSpace

Young Business Women's Home Edit

Summary

Agent Type
Corporate Entity

Name Forms

  • Young Business Women's Home

Notes

  • Biography/Historical Note

    Near the end of the 19th Century, Des Moines was a growing city with a growing population of “self-supporting women.” A number of established Des Moines women sought a place where young working women could find a comfortable “home away from home” with reasonable rent. With financial support from several philanthropists and material donations from the community, the Christian Home for Self Supporting Women opened its doors on April 1st, 1889. The home, incorporated in 1894 as the Christian Home for Women prior to being called the Business Women’s Association, was located at five different addresses in Des Moines before closing its doors as a residence in 1980. Now known as the BWA Foundation, the group provides financial assistance to programs aiding women and children in Polk County.