The Civilian Pilot Training Program was established in September 1939 on campuses nationwide, in anticipation of the need for increased numbers of pilots beyond what the armed forces was prepared to train. It was sponsored by the Civilian Aeronautics Administration as an extracurricular activity for college students. This civilian program was transformed into a military program during the summer of 1942. It was renamed the War Training Service Program and was designed for Army or Navy Air Corps cadets. In addition, the program provided supervisory training to Naval officers. According to the National Museum of the U. S. Air Force Web site, the services ended their contracts with the CPTP/WTS in early 1944 and the program was dissolved in 1946.