Des Moines Women's Club
The Des Moines Women's Club was founded in 1885 as a women's community group. The club was headquartered at Historic Hoyt Sherman Place, a Victorian landmark with a large theater facility that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Maintaining Hoyt Sherman Place was one of the club's early commitments. Des Moines' first public art gallery was housed in a 1907 addition to the building to display artwork acquired by the club. The club's mission was to foster lifelong learning among its members, to improve the community, and to aid in the preservation and enhancement of Hoyt Sherman Place for the benefit of the general public. To that end, the club hosted fundraising efforts, luncheons, and card parties, awarded scholarships, and held an annual Art Exhibition of area artists with prizes for both professionals and amateurs.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Prominent Des Moines families including Irma Mannheimer, her husband Rabbi Eugene Mannheimer of Temple B'nai Jeshurun, and her parents, Rose and Max Shloss—the owners of Lederer and Strauss and Company.