Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Fort Madison Women's Club

 Organization

The first organizational meeting of the Women's Club of Fort Madison was held in the First Methodist Fellowship Hall in 1957. Within the same year the club was certified as a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. A complex system of departments and divisions consisted of the Department of American Home Life (1958-) with divisions of Consumer Education, Family Life and Welfare, and Gardens; the Department of International Affairs; the Department of Fine Arts with divisions of Bridge, Creative Writing, Art Appreciation, Ceramics (1958- ), Water Coloring, Music (1960- ), Oil Painting (1960- ), Spanish, and Drama (1964- ); the Department of Conservation; the Junior Department (for members under 30 years old); the Department of Education; and the Department of Public Affairs.

"The object of the organization," as stated in the Constitution and By-Laws, "shall be mutual help, intellectual improvement, social enjoyment, and a united effort for the general welfare of the community." Members participated in a variety of activities that included excursions, presentations, concerts, scholarship and community fundraising, lectures and monthly organizational meetings throughout an eight month club year that spanned October through May.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Fort Madison Women's Club records

 Collection
Identifier: IWA0712
Abstract The club organized in 1957 with the objectives of social enjoyment, community service and intellectual improvement.