Tennyson Study Club (Marion, Iowa)
The Tennyson Study Club was founded on May 19, 1932 when a group of women met in the Marion Public Library to form a club dedicated to the study of Alfred Tennyson. They appointed Mrs. K. M. Saunders as the first president and decided that the club´s flower would be the daffodil, its colors green and yellow, and its motto, "Better not be at all than not to be noble." The Tennyson Study Club affiliated with the General Federation of Women´s Clubs in 1938. Initially, meetings focused on discussion of the poetic works of Tennyson. The club also regularly contributed to charitable organizations and in later years shifted its focus towards community-based activism, particularly between 1956 and 1960 when it took up the issue of animal cruelty. In 1958, Tennyson Study Club received the Community Achievement Contest Award of the General Federation of Women´s Clubs.
Found in 1 Collection or Record: