Skip to main content

Old Brick Records

 Collection
Identifier: msc0406

Scope and Contents

The records of Old Brick date from 1971 to 1982 (with clippings from the 19th century) and consist of 1.5 linear feet of documents. The records deal primarily with the efforts to 'save" Old Brick. Many related groups were formed for this purpose including the Old Brick Associates, Ltd., the Old Brick Legal Defense League, and Friends of Old Brick. Historical background material, correspondence, photographs, restoration plans, real estate and zoning material, petitions, and newspaper clippings all relate to efforts to preserve this building. These labors were eventually successful. Old Brick still stands on the corner of Market and Clinton Street near downtown Iowa City.

Dates

  • 1971-1982

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

Biographical / Historical

The building known as Old Brick is located at 26 E. Market Street in Iowa City, Iowa. Originally the home of the First Presbyterian Church, its construction was completed in 1850, making it one of the oldest surviving buildings in Iowa City. The Romanesque revival architecture was heavily damaged by fire in 1856, and the present structure is the result of the post-fire rebuilding. In 1877. The one hundred fifty three foot spire collapsed and was replaced by the present battlement. When the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church decided to build a new church building, the fate of Old Brick came into question. Whether the building would be razed or saved became a controversial issue, not just within the church but throughout the entire community. In 1973, as part of an on-going effort to save the building, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Extent

1.50 linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Iowa City building. Legal documents, correspondence, financial records, etc. used in the battle to save Old Brick from destruction.

Method of Acquisition

The records were given to the University of Iowa Libraries in 1982 by Robert R. Dykstra.

Creator

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the University of Iowa Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242 IaU
319-335-5921
319-335-5900 (Fax)