Skip to main content

William Titus Rigby and William Cattron Rigby Papers

 Collection
Identifier: msc0082

Scope and Contents

The William Titus Rigby papers were donated to the University of Iowa Libraries in two separate installments. In 1963, Isabel Rigby presented the libraries with the papers of her grandfather, William Titus Rigby. These included four boxes of correspondence, dating from 1859-1941, among which were his Civil War letters. There were also diaries, army rosters, and printed material about the Vicksburg National Military Park. In 1994, C. Edward Rigby donated additional family papers to be added to his grandfather's collection. Included in this addendum were diaries and financial records from William Rigby's father, Washington Augustus; correspondence spanning at least three generations; essays by William's brother, Joshua; numerous photographs; and detailed genealogical records.

The major correspondents were Washington Augustus Rigby and his children William Titus, Joshua Hopkins, and Ellen Sarah. They also include William Cattron Rigby, Charles Longley Rigby, and Grace Kendrick Rigby Cameron. Also includes items from William Cattron Rigby. A print of Oliver Wendell Holmes was sent to Conservation to be removed from the glass. It should be put in a map case when it is returned. jlr 3/2016

In the interest of saving space, the coffin flag is stored at 1:09:4. jlr

The military dress sword and the Mason swords are on top of the filing cabinets holding the faculty vertical files. jlr

Dates

  • 1830-1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

Extent

4.25 linear feet

Photographs: Boxes 8, 9 other_unmapped

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Civil War veteran and Vicksburg National Military Park Commissioner. Correspondence, clippings, photographs, diaries, genealogical material, relating to the Rigby family.

Method of Acquisition

This collection was donated to the University of Iowa in two parts: the first in 1963 by Isabel Rigby and the second by C.Edward Rigby in 1994.

Accruals and Additions

Addenda: 1994
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Iowa Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242 IaU
319-335-5921
319-335-5900 (Fax)