Iowa Memorial Union Records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The Records of the Iowa Memorial Union include minutes, correspondence, special events memorabilia, newspaper clippings, art exhibition information, financial reports, planning documents for 1955 addition construction, Union Board records, annual reports, and scrapbooks. The bulk of the documents date from 1919, following the end of World War I, when discussions were underway to construct a memorial to all war veterans who were associated with the University of Iowa.While documenting the development of the IMU, the records also contain references to various aspects of the University's social and political history. Women, for example, were prohibited from using the billiard room until 1958, when a women's physical education course in billiards was offered for the first time. Soapbox Sound-off, a free-speech forum begun in 1964, was the scene one year later of the campus's first draft card-burning incident in protest of the war in Vietnam. Both episodes are recounted in scrapbooks in boxes 45 and 46.
- Creation: 1912-1995
- Iowa Memorial Union (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
This collection is stored at an off-site location, please allow two-three business days for retrieval.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge University of Iowa Libraries Special Collections & Archives as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Iowa Memorial Union, one of the University of Iowa's most enduring landmarks, has served as the campus's social and cultural center since 1927. Major additions were completed in 1955 and 1965. At various times the IMU has housed a browsing library, art exhibit space, bowling alley, soda fountain, book store, private and public dining rooms, hotel, performance hall, and offices for student organizations. It is situated on the east bank of the Iowa River in the heart of the campus, flanked by Hubbard Park to the south and by the Pentacrest to the southeast.
28 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
The Records of the Iowa Memorial Union have been transferred to the University Archives at various times. Partial inventory prepared by Jill McCleary in 2004; completed and revised by David McCartney in 2007. Guide posted to the Internet February 2007.
- Jill McCleary in 2004; David McCartney in 2007.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note