Best Ever Club (Percival, Iowa) records
The Best Ever Club records date from 1929 to 1994 and measure 9 linear inches. The records consist of scrapbooks, notebooks, yearbooks, and an Iowa Community Achievement Contest entry. They document the activities of this social club and the lives and activities of the members in this small, rural Iowa community of approximately 100 families in the mid-1950s. The Scrapbooks (1954-1994) contain newspaper clippings, annual club program books, photographs, meeting notes, and other memorabilia, including newspaper clippings of legislative reports from Best Ever Club member, Lillian M. McElroy, a state representative. Also included are the handwritten articles regarding the formation and plan for the club. The Notebooks (1948-1993) contain minutes of each meeting, roll call lists of members, and lists of dues paid. The Annual programs (1929-1949) are the handmade programs of the club during those years, often in pink and green, with construction paper covers and mimeographed or carbon copy pages. (Lacking programs for 1936/37 and 1939/40). The Iowa Community Achievement Contest Entry (1956-1958) contains the forms from the Best Ever Club's entry into this competition. The club had planted a tree in the church yard to honor their "boys" in the armed forces, donated $25 toward construction of rest rooms in a community building, entered a float at the Thurman, Iowa, centennial, and encouraged home decorations during the Christmas season. Included are black-and-white photographs of the tree, the float, and "home beautification."
- Best Ever Club (Percival, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
9.00 linear inches
A women's study club in Percival, Iowa that was founded in 1922.
Biographical / Historical
The Best Ever Club of Percival, Iowa, was a women's study club founded on November 24, 1922. The club generally held monthly meetings for study, conversation, and refreshments. Members frequently participated in other community activities and donated money to local groups and causes such as the P.T.A. Student Loan Fund, Fremont County Historical Society, and Odyssey of the Mind teams.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 259) were donated by Gertrude Ettleman in 1995.
- Leslie Czechowski, 1995.
- Language of description