Skip to main content

Emerson Study Club, Sioux City records

Identifier: IWA0250

Scope and Contents

The Emerson Study Club records date from 1966 to 1997 and measure 2.5 linear inches. The records include bylaws, histories, newspaper clippings about the club's 75th and 100th anniversaries, and handmade yearbooks which contain information on the club's programs and meetings as well as a list of members for that year.


  • 1966-1997


Conditions Governing Access

The records are open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has not been transferred to the University of Iowa.

Biographical / Historical

In October of 1892, nine women met in the Sioux City home of Mrs. W.A. Mills with the purpose of forming a reading club. The women chose to name their club after the American essayist, Ralph Waldo Emerson, because they admired his self-reliance, individualism, and creativity. They held meetings twice a month that consisted of lunch and a program on a selected topic. In addition to Emerson's essays they also studied countries around the world, historical figures, and other issues. Although in recent years the programs have taken a more social theme, the club's driving goal remains the pursuit of literary work, knowledge, and friendship.


2.50 linear inches


Women's study club founded in Sioux City in 1892.

Method of Acquisition

The records were donated by Agnes Yanney (donor number 348) in 1996 and Roberta Pendleton (donor number 469 in 1997.

Other Descriptive Information
Courtney P. Davids, 1998.
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Iowa Women's Archives Repository

100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242 IaU
319-335-5900 (Fax)