West Branch Women's Clubs (Cedar County, Iowa) records
The West Branch Women's Clubs records date from 1903 to 1999 and measure 2.5 linear feet.Â The records are divided into four series: Priscilla Club (1912-1975); Klatter Klub (1922-1988); Methodist Women (1954-1988); Other West Branch clubs records (1939-1999).Â The Priscilla Club series includes a novel that appears to have been written and circulated among club members as well as a series of poems that describe each of their members.
- West Branch Women's Clubs (Cedar County, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has not been transferred to The University of Iowa.
2.50 linear feet
Records from seven women's clubs in West Branch, Iowa.
Biographical / Historical
The records of the West Branch Women´s Clubs are comprised of seven local clubs formed between 1895 and 1911. The Priscilla Club was organized in 1895. It was formed to promote literary culture, encourage sociability, fine arts, and all similar pursuits that would refine and elevate sisterhood. Its motto was "no steps backward;" its colors were pale green and white. The Klatter Klub was organized in 1911 by young women for "social enjoyment" and the "promotion of friendship." New members were initiated with various rituals described in the collection such as reciting an oath while performing tasks like threading a needle while sitting on a barrel. The United Methodist Women´s Club (UMW) was divided into "Circles" named after women in the Bible. Its purpose was "to know God and experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ, and to develop a creative, supportive fellowship." The Women´s Society of Christian Service (WSCS) of the Methodist Church was also divided into "Circles" named after women in the Bible. Members met twice a month and worked to unite all women of the church in service, help develop and support Christian work among women and children, and study the needs of the world. The Carnation Club was organized in 1906. The Club´s colors were pink and white. Members gathered for potlucks and encouraged discussion about such topics as books they had read, new words, jokes, and unusual news items. The Wapsinonoc Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) met monthly. Its meetings included prayers and educational guest speakers, and strove to promote patriotism. The LAL Club members enjoyed discussions on recipes, book reviews, and sewing tips. The collection also includes a few materials relating to the West Branch Federated Woman´s Club (WBFWC).
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor nos. 1166, 1167) were donated by Audrey Kofoed and Marjorie Rummels in 2008.
- Johanna Meetz, 2010.