Skip to main content

Burlington Clubwomen's Time Capsule records

 Collection
Identifier: IWA0910
The Burlington Clubwomen's Time Capsule dates from 1896 and 1946 and measures 5 linear inches. The records are arranged in three series: 1896, 1946 and Artifacts. The 1896 series consists of the contents of the original time capsule: essays and reflections on Women's Day at the semi-centennial celebration and on the time capsule by members of the Burlington Federation of Women's Clubs records of the various clubs in the Federation, including several King's Daughters Circles, the Ladies Musical Club, the Mosaics, the Shakespeare Club, the Alpha Club and the Fortnightly Club. The Burlington Federation of Women's Clubs also made a contribution. The papers of this series are characterized by the themes of 'progress for women' and 'looking forward'. The 1946 series has a broader variety of material and is not solely composed of the contributions of different clubs. The composers of 1946 wanted 'the woman of 1996' to get a complete impression of their world with more than the data on women's clubs alone.  The 1946 series therefore includes records on the celebration of the centennial; on 'the Woman of 1946', and on clubwomen's contributions, as well as some material concerning Burlington's Crapo Park, which celebrated its semi-centennial during the celebration of the state's centennial. The women of 1946 reflected on the accomplishments of 1896, the ideals of 1946, and their prophesies for 1996. The Artifacts consist of three flags that were added to the box in 1946.

Dates

  • 1896, 1946

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The records are open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Copyright has been retained by the donor.

Extent

5.00 linear inches

Artifacts in box 2 other_unmapped

Abstract

Time capsule documenting women's community involvement, as captured in 1896 and 1946.

Biographical / Historical

The Burlington Clubwomen's Time Capsule dates from 1896 and was created by the Burlington Federation of Women's Clubs for the occasion of Iowa's Semi-Centennial Celebration that year. Its purpose was to honor women's contribution to society and to this celebration and to give 'the woman of 1946' an impression of 'the woman of 1896.' Every women's club in Burlington in 1896 made a contribution in the form of a short essay about their club, its aim, and its charter members. The Time Capsule (often referred to as 'the Box' or 'the Mystery Box') was to be opened at the celebration of the State's Centennial in 1946.

On October 2, 1946, during the celebration of Iowa's Centennial, the time capsule was opened by the Iowa Federation of Women's Clubs. The Federation decided to extend the time capsule; they added new materials to the box and resealed it in April 1947, to be opened again in 1996. The women of 1996 would then get an impression of the progress made by women in the past century.

In 1997 Burlington resident Dianne Lerud Chubb came across a reference to the time capsule, located it in a safe at City Hall and opened it. The contents of the box were donated to the Iowa Womens Archives, and are included in the Iowa Digital Library.

Method of Acquisition

The records (donor no. 256) were donated by Dianne Lerud Chubb on behalf of Burlington women's clubs in 1997.
Author
Melanie Jacobs, 1997; revised by Karen Mason 2001.

Repository Details

Part of the Iowa Women's Archives Repository

Contact:
100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242 IaU
319-335-5068
319-335-5900 (Fax)