Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 21
Abstract Civil War soldier and mayor of DeWitt, Iowa. Letters written to his wife while he was serving with the 26th Iowa Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War.
Abstract Clinical psychologist and University of Iowa alumna who was a member of the Des Moines Know Your Neighbor panel.
Dates: 1946-1996; 1961-1966
Abstract U.S. Representative from Iowa. Correspondence, subject files, legislative records, and speeches relating to his career in the Congress.
Abstract Professional dancer and deputy commissioner of the Iowa Department of Social Services.
Dates: 1910-1991; 1942-1991
Abstract Civil rights worker in Davenport.
Abstract Obtained from the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act in 1999, these papers document the FBI's investigation into the murder of Lemuel A. Penn. Ku Klux Klan members who murdered him were the first persons convicted under the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Abstract Des Moines educator whose materials include You Can't Go Back to Buxton and African Americans in Iowa: a Chronicle of Contributions, 1830-1992.
Dates: 1906-2000; 1950-2000
Abstract Professor Emeritus of Afro-American Studies and Music at the University of Minnesota; University of Iowa alumna.
Abstract The first African American woman pharmacist licensed in Iowa and presidential appointee to the United States Foreign Service in the 1950s.
Abstract Physician and civil rights leader in Fort Madison, IA. Correspondence, speeches, biographical and autobiographical materials, and subject files document both his career and his Civil Rights activism.
Abstract Elementary schoolteacher in Keokuk, Iowa.
Abstract Teacher's aide, packinghouse worker, and union activist, Burleson was the first woman and first African American elected to the Fort Dodge City Council.
Abstract Davenport community and civil rights activists during the 1960s.
Abstract Iowa City activist who collected lesbian and feminist publications during the 1970s and 1980s.
Abstract Scholar, writer and artist.
Abstract Iowa City feminist and champion of LGBT rights.
Abstract Civil War correspondence and pension records of an Iowa County family. Some of the topics of correspondence include the Battle of Corinth, Copperheads in Iowa, Black troops, and farm life in Iowa.
Dates: 1861-1929; 1862-1866
Abstract Novelist and associate professor of journalism and mass communication at the University of Iowa.
Abstract Communication specialist at Iowa State University who produced the documentary Black Des Moines: Voices Seldom Heard.
- Subject: African Americans X
- Iowa Women's Archives 15
- University of Iowa Special Collections 6
- University of Iowa 4
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- University of Iowa. Action Studies Program 2
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority 1
- Bergmann family 1
- Bergmann, Gustav, 1906-1987 1
- Bergmann, Leola Nelson, 1912-2011 1
- Berry, Venise T. 1
- Blind Tom, 1849-1908 1
- Brewton, Frances 1
- Brown, Geraldine 1
- Burleson, Jane, 1928- 1
- Butler, Anson Rood, 1828-1901 1
- Carson, Frances 1
- Catholic Interracial Council (Davenport, Iowa) 1
- Coffin, Winnie 1
- Cooper, Cecile, 1900-1997 1
- Cooper, Fannie Wilson 1
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority 1
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. Phi Chapter (Des Moines, Iowa) 1
- Des Moines Suffrage Club 1
- Drake College of Pharmacy 1
- Durham, Leona 1
- Emma Goldman Clinic 1
- Estes, Simon 1
- Fowler, Gwendolyn Wilson, 1907-1997 1
- Furgerson, Betty Jean, 1927- 1
- Gay Liberation Front (Iowa City, Iowa) 1
- Haralovich, Mary Beth 1
- Harper, Harry 1
- Harris, Gwendolene Barry 1
- Hawthorne, Frances E. 1
- Hickok, Kathy 1
- Ibsen family 1
- Iowa State University. Cooperative Extension Service 1
- Iowa Women's Hall of Fame 1
- Iowa. Department of Agriculture 1
- Iowa. Department of Social Services 1
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- 1
- Jensen, Ben F. 1
- Juilliard School 1
- Know Your Neighbor (Panel : Des Moines, Iowa) 1
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ) 1
- Lesbian Alliance (Iowa City, Iowa) 1
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 1
- Lloyd-Jones, Jean, 1929- 1
- Marsh, Marjorie, 1913- 1
- Maxwell, Artice 1
- Mead Family 1
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Missouri River Wildlife Association 1
- Morris, Arlene, 1926- 1
- Neal, Kathryn M. 1
- Penn, Lemuel 1
- Penn, Lemuel A. 1
- Quad Cities Council on Human Rights 1
- Rabenold, Jo 1
- Republican Party (Iowa) 1
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 1
- Schneiders, Jean, 1935- 1
- Schneiders, John L. 1
- Schwengel, Fred, 1907-1993 1
- Scott, Jacqueline 1
- Smith, David A. 1
- Southall, Geneva H. 1
- Spencer, Bessie 1
- St. Olaf Choir (St. Olaf College) 1
- St. Olaf College 1
- State University of Iowa 1
- State University of Iowa. School of Social Work 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority 1
- United States Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 101st (1864-1866) 1
- United States Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 125th (1865-1867) 1
- United States Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 12th (1863-1866) 1
- United States Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 62nd 1
- United States Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 24th (1862-1865), Company E 1
- United States Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1865), Company G 1
- United States Congress. House Committee on Appropriations 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 26th (1862- 1865). Company H 1
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 45th (1864) 1
- United States. Foreign Service 1
- University of Iowa Daycare Commission 1
- University of Iowa. Afro-American Studies Program 1
- University of Iowa. College of Pharmacy 1
- University of Iowa. Department of Physical Education and Dance 1
- University of Iowa. Rape Victim Advocacy Program 1
- University of Iowa. School of Art and Art History 1
- University of Iowa. Women's Resource and Action Center 1
- University of Iowa. Women's Studies Program 1
- University of Minnesota 1
- WOI-TV (Television station : Ames, Iowa) 1
- Watson, Lynn, 1948- 1
- Williams, Catherine Gayle, 1914- 1
- Williams, Richard, -1995 1
- Williams, Verda L. 1
- Wilson, Jonathan 1
- Wilson, Paul 1
- Wise Clark Family 1
- Women's Coffeehouse (Iowa City, Iowa) 1
- YWCA of Greater Des Moines 1 ∧ less