Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 28
Abstract Japanese American activist who, after being interned in a War Relocation Center during World War II, travelled extensively and was heavily involved in human and civil rights campaigns in Iowa City and beyond.
Dates: 1944-2012; Other: Date acquired: 2012-12-06
Abstract U.S. Representative from Iowa. Correspondence, subject files, legislative records, and speeches relating to his career in the Congress.
Abstract Civil rights worker in Davenport.
Abstract Sports administrator, professor, and gender equity activist.
Dates: 1952-2009; 1970-2005
Abstract Civil rights activist, later known as the Rosa Parks of Iowa.
Abstract Davenport civil rights and Chicano activist, born in the predominantly Mexican settlement of Holy City in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Abstract Obtained from the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act in 1999, these papers document the FBI's investigation into the murder of Lemuel A. Penn. Ku Klux Klan members who murdered him were the first persons convicted under the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Abstract Physician and civil rights leader in Fort Madison, IA. Correspondence, speeches, biographical and autobiographical materials, and subject files document both his career and his Civil Rights activism.
Abstract Lawyer and U.S. Congressman, 1961-1965. Political and campaign related papers.
Dates: 1959 -1969
Abstract Davenport community and civil rights activists during the 1960s.
Collection — Folder: 1
Abstract Writer, performer, volunteer, and nurse in Iowa City.
Abstract Social worker and civil rights activist from Osage, Iowa.
Collection — Folder: 1
Abstract Traces the family history of Helen Lemme, a civil rights activist who was named Iowa City's first Woman of the Year in 1955.
Arrangement One folder, shelved in SCVF.
Arrangement One folder, shelved in SCVF.
Abstract Mexican American activists from Davenport, Iowa.
Abstract On April 25, 2004, pro-choice activists went to Washington, D.C., to participate in the March for Women's Lives, a protest against the pro-life policies of President George W. Bush's administration.
Abstract Subject files, correspondence and clippings relating to women's rights.
Abstract Bonney's research files include Iowa suffragist Mary Jane Coggeshall, scientist Mary Louise Putnam, physician Jennie McCowen, and pioneer evangelist and minister, Abner Kneeland
Abstract Sioux City business owner and political activist who emigrated to the United States from Mexico in 1978.
Abstract Civil rights activist, community and religious leader, she was executive director of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Education and Vocational Training in Waterloo.
- Subject: Civil rights X
- Iowa Women's Archives 24
- University of Iowa Special Collections 4
- University of Iowa 5
- Iowa Civil Rights Commission 3
- Republican Party (Iowa) 3
- State University of Iowa 3
- League of United Latin American Citizens. Council 10 (Davenport, Iowa) 2
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 2
- National Organization for Women. Dubuque Chapter 2
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854- ) 2
- United Nations Association of the United States of America. Iowa Division 2
- American Association for the United Nations 1
- Anderson, Margaret, 1928- 1
- Archdiocesan Council of Catholic Women's (Dubuque, Iowa) 1
- Beck, Robert Knowlton, 1915- 1
- Beisswenger family 1
- Beisswenger, Don 1
- Beisswenger, Joyce, 1930-2002 1
- Beisswenger, Judy 1
- Bonney, Margaret Atherton 1
- Bromwell, James 1
- Bush, George, 1924- 1
- Cadena, Juan 1
- Cadena, Marta 1
- Catholic Interracial Council (Davenport, Iowa) 1
- Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission 1
- Chavez, Cesar, 1927-1993 1
- Christian Children's Fund 1
- Coggeshall, Mary Jane Whitely, 1836-1911 1
- Cooper, Cecile, 1900-1997 1
- Costantino, A. Mori, 1924- 1
- Costantino, Anthony 1
- Davenport Academy of Sciences 1
- Des Moines Human Rights Commission 1
- Des Moines Tutoring Center 1
- Displaced Homemakers Network 1
- Door Opener (Mason City, Iowa) 1
- Drake University 1
- Dubuque Human Rights Commission (Dubuque, Iowa) 1
- Ely, Polly, 1920-2008 1
- Estes, Simon 1
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006 1
- Frederick County Human Relations Commission (Frederick County, Iowa) 1
- Garrity, Margaret 1
- Garrity-Sandage Associates, Inc. 1
- Global Cedar Rapids (Organization) 1
- Goldsmith, Judith 1
- Grant, Christine, 1936- 1
- Griffin, Edna, 1909-2000 1
- Griffin, Phyllis 1
- Harper, Harry 1
- Helen Lemme Elementary School (Iowa City, Iowa) 1
- Himschoot, Nickol 1
- Iowa City Human Relations Commission (Iowa City, Iowa) 1
- Iowa Civil Liberties Union 1
- Iowa Commission on Latino Affairs 1
- Iowa Commission on the Status of African-Americans 1
- Iowa Commission on the Status of Women 1
- Iowa ERA Coalition 1
- Iowa Governor's Commission on Health Care Costs 1
- Iowa State Teachers College 1
- Iowa Women's Hall of Fame 1
- Iowa Women's Political Caucus 1
- Jensen, Ben F. 1
- Juilliard School 1
- Katz Drug Store (Des Moines, Iowa) 1
- Kneeland, Abner, 1774-1844 1
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ) 1
- Lawrence, Noah 1
- League of United Latin American Citizens 1
- League of Women Voters of Johnson County, Iowa 1
- Lemme family 1
- Lemme, Helen 1
- March For Women's Lives. Iowa Delegation 1
- Mason, Kären 1
- McCowen, Jennie, 1845-1924 1
- Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Midwest Gas (Company) 1
- Migrant Action Program (Mason City, Iowa) 1
- Missouri River Wildlife Association 1
- Mount Holyoke College 1
- Muscatine Migrant Committee 1
- Nash, Martha, 1925-2000 1
- National Center for Human Development 1
- National Committee on United States-China Relations 1
- National Conference of Christians and Jews 1
- National Council of Catholic Women (U.S.) 1
- National Federation of Republican Women 1
- National Organization for Women 1
- National Organization for Women. Iowa 1
- National Organization on Disability (U.S.) 1
- National Women's Political Caucus (U.S.) 1
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994 1
- Noun, Louise R. 1
- Older Women's League (U.S.) 1
- Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays 1
- Penn, Lemuel 1
- Penn, Lemuel A. 1
- Penuel Ridge Contemplative Retreat Center (Cheatham County, Tenn.) 1
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America 1
- President's Commission for the Observance of the 25th Anniversary of the United Nations 1
- Progressive Party (U.S. : 1948) 1 ∧ less