Booster Women's Club (Fort Madison, Iowa)
The Booster Women´s Club was organized in Fort Madison in 1947 as the Booster Girls. The group was formed after a pleasant afternoon spent playing Po-Ke-No. All of the members of the organization were young African-American women. The club began as a forum for the women to enjoy each other´s company and play cards. The organization had, by 1965, broadened from card playing to fundraising and supporting local charities. The women provided financial support for widows, churches, children with disabilities and activities at the Iowa State Penitentiary. By the mid-1980s, the name of the club changed from Booster Girls to the Booster Women´s Club to reflect the maturity of the membership. A number of the club members played an important role in the community as activists and leaders. The annual highlight of club activities was the Christmas party and gift exchange. After its Fifty-first Anniversary in 1998, the group disbanded because there was insufficient interest in the community to maintain a minimum membership.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Booster Women's Club (Fort Madison, Iowa) records
Social and philanthropic club organized in 1947 by African American women in Fort Madison, Iowa