Agudas Achim Sisterhood
Iowa City’s Jewish community hired a rabbi in 1915 and in 1916 established the Agudas Achim Congregration. The Agudas Achim Sisterhood was founded in 1932 to be a social and service organization for the women of the congregation. It absorbed the local Jewish Ladies’ Relieft Organization, which had existed in Iowa City since 1916. The group was later affiliated with the Midwest branch of the Women’s League for Conservative Judaism. The members of the Agudas Achim Sisterhood, drawn from the congregation, sponsored social events, organized refreshments for events and holidays, ran the congregation’s gift shop, and supported many other activities that benefitted Agudas Achim as a whole.