After graduating from high school in Des Moines, Iowa, physical educator, Geraldine "Jeri" Greenlee worked as a bookkeeper at an auto dealer for four years and played with the "all girl orchestra," the Morrow Melodians until the fall of 1948 when she began her studies at the State University of Iowa (now the University of Iowa). Greenlee received a bachelor of science degree from the Department of Physical Education for Women in 1952 and her master's degree in 1958. She continued her graduate work with a year of residence at Indiana University in 1968 and a PhD in Physical Education from the University of Oregon in 1971.
Greenlee began her professional career in Lyons, Iowa where she taught girls physical education and general science at Lyons Junior/Senior High School from 1952 to 1957. She then taught at Carthage College in Carthage, Illinois from 1958 to 1963, until relocating to the State University of New York College at Cortland, New York, where she specialized in kinesiology and applied anatomy until 1968. From 1970 until her retirement in 1988, Professor Greenlee specialized in science related and injury prevention courses for physical education majors at the Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois. In April 1999, Greenlee was awarded for her years of service and the development of the Women's Athletics program at the Carthage Illinois campus with a plaque located in the softball dugout. She was also recognized by the Illinois American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation (AAHPER) with a Service Award and a Quarter Century Award.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Geraldine Greenlee papers
Received her master's degree from the Department of Physical Education for Women at the State University of Iowa in 1952.