Richard Maibaum Papers
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The collection is divided into ten major series: Personal papers, Film Projects, Stage Projects, Television Projects, James Bond Projects, Technical and Historical Research Data, Defense Studies, Moving Parts, Scale Models, and Sylvia Kamion Maibaum Papers. Each series is arranged alphabetically by subject or title, and chronologically within these divisions.
The Personal Papers include biographical material, correspondence, interviews, tributes, photographs, and other general files that are unassociated with specific projects.
The Film Projects series is composed of produced and unproduced projects which involved Richard Maibaum as screenwriter or producer. Scripts, clippings, reviews, and other associated materials can be found within the specific project.
The James Bond material appears in a separate series, containing an extensive collection of notes, sketches, screen treatments, screenplay drafts, and final scripts representing most of the James Bond movies. Of the sixteen films produced by Cubby Broccoli, Maibaum wrote or co-wrote thirteen. Clippings, correspondence, publicity material, articles, photographs, and other items complete this series.
Some of Maibaum's earliest works are contained in Stage Projects, including his master's thesis, The Tree, which was produced at The University of Iowa. This was one of the first creative works ever accepted as a thesis by any university.
Among the items in the Television Projects are teleplays, clippings, and correspondence.
The following two series, Technical and Historical Research Data and Defense Studies, contain research material on war-related topics, including notes, clippings, broachures, and model kit diagrams.
The Moving Parts series consists of drawings, guides, and documents associated with Moving Parts: The Richard Maibaum Films Miniatures Collection as compiled by Maibaum's son, Matthew. Bound volumes and related research can also be found here.
The Sylvia Kamion Maibaum Papers series consists of documents, correspondence, and music arrangements from and for Maibaum's wife, Sylvia. This series also contains some work from Bernard Whitefield and Matthew Maibaum.
See below note for more on Scale Models.
- Creation: 1931-1991
- Maibaum, Richard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is not held by the University of Iowa. Reproduction of any kind of the Richard Maibaum Papers is restricted. Any reproduction requests of drafts, treatments, scripts, or screenplays relating to James Bond films should be directed to Eon Productions and all other reproduction requests should be directed to Paul Maibaum firstname.lastname@example.org
18.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
American screenwriter, producer and actor. Personal papers contains an actors file, clippings and correspondences.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to the University of Iowa Libraries by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Jack in 1959. Gifted by Richard and Sylvia Maibaum in 1991.
Genre / Form
- Clippings (Information artifacts)
- James Bond films
- Motion pictures
- Spy films
- American drama
- American literature
- English literature
- Motion picture authorship
- Motion picture authorship
- Motion pictures -- Production and direction
- Popular culture -- Study and teaching
- Television -- Production and direction
- Television authorship
- Television authorship
- Television programs
- Theater -- Study and teaching
- Writers Archive at Iowa
- Amazing Mr. Williams (Motion picture)
- Bad man of Brimstone (Motion picture)
- Bandit of Zhobe (Motion picture)
- Battle at Bloody Beach (Motion picture)
- Big clock (Motion picture)
- Bigger than life (Motion picture)
- Birthright (Play)
- Bride of vengeance (Motion picture)
- Captain Carey, U.S.A. (Motion picture)
- Chitty chitty bang bang (Motion picture)
- Coast guard (Motion picture)
- Cockleshell heroes (Motion picture)
- Day they robbed the bank of England (Motion picture)
- Dear wife (Motion picture)
- Diamonds are forever (Motion picture)
- Dr. No (Motion picture)
- For your eyes only (Motion picture)
- From Russia with love (Motion picture)
- Gemini contender
- Ghost comes home (Motion picture)
- Goldfinger (Motion picture)
- Great Gatsby (Motion picture : 1949)
- Hell below zero (Motion picture)
- Hold back the dawn (Motion picture)
- I wanted wings (Motion picture : 1941)
- Jarrett (Television program)
- Kate Smith evening hour (Television program)
- Killers of Kilimanjaro (Motion picture)
- Lady and the mob (Motion picture)
- Licence to kill (Motion picture)
- Live, love and learn (Motion picture)
- Living daylights (Motion picture)
- Man with the golden gun (Motion picture)
- Middletown mural (Play)
- Moral entertainment (Play)
- No man of her own (Motion picture : 1950)
- O.S.S. (Motion picture : 1946)
- Octopussy (Motion picture)
- On Her Majesty's secret service (Motion picture)
- Paratrooper (Motion picture : 1953)
- Ransom! (Motion picture : 1956)
- Red beret (Motion picture : 1953)
- S.H.E. (Television program)
- Sainted sisters (Motion picture)
- See my lawyer (Play)
- Song of surrender (Motion picture)
- Spy who loved me (Motion picture)
- Stablemates (Motion picture)
- Tank force (Motion picture)
- Ten gentlemen from West Point (Motion picture)
- Their neighbor's wife (Motion picture)
- They gave him a gun (Motion picture : 1937)
- Thunderball (Motion picture)
- Tree (Play)
- Twenty mule team (Motion picture)
- View to a kill (Motion picture)
- We went to college (Motion picture)
- Zarak (Motion picture)
- Language of description
- Script of description