A. M. Fine Papers
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The A. M. Fine Collection consists of 16 linear feet, one map case drawer, and two oversize boxes of original art works by Fine as well as Robert Janz and Ray Johnson, some of Fine's correspondence, personal items, poetry, essays, and twenty-six of his original music scores. This material's approximate datesrange from 1960 -- 1985.
- Creation: 1960-1991
- Fine, A. M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research. Note: Donor has retained the copyright and the exclusive rights of reproduction, adaptation and distribution of the musical scores in Box 15.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
Biographical / Historical
Albert M. Fine (1932 -- 1987) was born in Boston , Massachusetts. He graduated from Revere High School in 1949. In 1958 he earned a B.A. from the Julliard School of Music, and in 1960 he received his M.A. from the Julliard in orchestral conducting. In addition to being a composer, Fine was an artist and poet, whose compositions ranged from instrumental works to incidental music to off-Broadway theatre. Although perhaps most widely known within contemporary discourse for his Fluxus works and as a leading exponent of the Mail-art movement (in collaboration with the late Ray Johnson), Fine's cross-disciplinary activities also overlapped with the creative productions of his friends and colleagues Phillip Glass, John Cage, George Maciunas , and Allen Ginsberg. Alternative Traditions in the Contemporary Arts (a program of the Libraries in association with the Museum of Art and the School of Art & Art History) was chosen as the official repository for the artist's works and papers by the A. M. Fine estate.
16.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Fluxus artist, composer, and poet. Artworks, personal items, poetry, essays, and music scores.
Method of Acquisition
The core of the A. M. Fine Collection was donated to the University of Iowa by Ida Fine in 1995. Two smaller donations were made by John Broderickin 1995 and William Rand in 1996.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note