George W. Strong Papers
Scope and Contents
Some correspondence from this collection is digitized on the Iowa Digital Library Civil War Diaries and Letters Collection page.
- Majority of material found in 1862-1865
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
This collection is available on microfilm, which is stored in preservation.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
Biographical / Historical
George W. Strong was born in Oswego, New York near the year 1833. He worked as a farm laborer, a lumber man and a sailor, and as of 1861 was in Michigan. That year, he enlisted as a drum major in the Fifteenth Michigan Infantry Volunteers, where he attained the position of second lieutenant in Company F. In 1863, he went to the First West Tennessee Infantry of African descent as captain of Company H. He served in this company until 1864, when he was discovered to be involved in fradulent practices in the enlistment of African American soldiers. Before he could be arrested, he deserted his company and regiment and escaped. He was never captured, but documents in this collection indicate that he likely cleared his legal difficulties and enlisted in the Iowa Volunteers in 1866.
From: Cowden, Colonel Robert. A Brief Sketch of the Organization and Services of the Fifty-Ninth Regiment of United States Colored Infantry, and Biographical Sketches. Dayton, Ohio: United Brethren Publishing House, 1883. P. 232-233.
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Correspondence to and from the Second Lieutenant.
Method of Acquisition
This collection was given to the University of Iowa Libraries by Harry J. Strong.
- Strong, George W., approximately 1833-
- African American soldiers
- African Americans
- Archives (groupings)
- Black people
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Military deserters
- Receipts (financial records)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 59th (1864-1866). Company H.
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 20th (1862-1865). Company E
- United States. Army. Michigan Infantry Regiment, 15th (1862-1865). Company F.
- United States. Army. Tennessee Volunteers of African Descent Infantry Regiment, 1st (1863-1864)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Iowa Special Collections Repository
Special Collections Department
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City IA 52242 IaU