Civilian Pilot Training Program Records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
These papers include reports, correspondence, course schedules, and applications of instructors for the Civilian Pilot Training Program from 1942 to 1944 at the State University of Iowa.
Correspondence is included from the Naval Aviation Cadet Selection Board, St. Louis, Missouri, and the Civil Aeronautics Administration Civilian Pilot Training, Kansas City, Missouri, within the reports series. There is correspondence with the Shaw Aircraft Company, which operated a flight school at the Iowa City Municipal Airport. The U. S. Naval contract includes correspondence with John P. Morris, director of the Civil Aeronautics Administration War Training Service in Washington, D. C.
Applications for instructor positions included in this collection were primarily received between March and May 1943. Some letters of application noted that War Training Service programs on their local campuses had been discontinued, while others were applying for positions because they had recently graduated from courses. Applications arrived from Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, and Oregon.Reports include the names of graduated students.Eight-week course schedules cover the entire period of the War Training Service Program, from summer 1942 to spring 1944.
- Creation: 1942-1944
- Civilian Pilot Training Program (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
Biographical / Historical
The Civilian Pilot Training Program was established in September 1939 on campuses nationwide, in anticipation of the need for increased numbers of pilots beyond what the armed forces was prepared to train. It was sponsored by the Civilian Aeronautics Administration as an extracurricular activity for college students. This civilian program was transformed into a military program during the summer of 1942. It was renamed the War Training Service Program and was designed for Army or Navy Air Corps cadets. In addition, the program provided supervisory training to Naval officers. According to the National Museum of the U. S. Air Force Web site, the services ended their contracts with the CPTP/WTS in early 1944 and the program was dissolved in 1946.
0.25 Linear Feet
Photographs: Box 1 other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
These materials were transferred to the University Archives prior to 1970.
- Denise Anderson, June 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note