Byron James Lambert Photograph Collection
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of about 150 black and white images depicting various campus scenes, both interior and exterior, as well as construction sites of several notable campus landmarks.
- Creation: 1930-1939
- Lambert , Byron James (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
Biographical / Historical
It is believed that the photographs were taken during the 1930's by Byron James Lambert (1874-1953), a long-time professor and head of the Department of Civil Engineering at the State University of Iowa. The donor of this collection, Brian Glenister, professor emeritus of geology, speculated so in an undated memorandum accompanying this collection. According to Glenister, J. Leavitt Lambert, a son of Prof. Lambert's, inherited and cared for the photographs following the elder Lambert's death. The younger Lambert was employed by the Department of Geology, where he stored the collection until his death in 1972. The photographs eventually came into Prof. Glenister's possession and were transferred to the University Archives in 1985.
0.25 Linear Feet
Method of Acquisition
The Byron James Lambert Collection of Photographs was donated to the University of Iowa Archives by Brian Glenister, a professor of geology, in February 1985. Guide posted to the Internet January 2007.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note