John Thomas McClintock Papers
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The John Thomas McClintock papers consist of materials that document the history of the College of Medicine, as collected by Dr. McClintock. The material includes newspaper clippings, correspondence, College of Medicine 75th anniversary celebration material, historical papers, faculty and staff biographical sketches, notes of commencement speakers, and state medical regulations. Materials are arranged chronologically or alphabetically by faculty name or subject.
Many of the historical sketches were written by McClintock. Some historical papers are filed with related correspondence. Newspaper clippings address the 1927 resignation of Dr. Lee Wallace Dean, dean of the College of Medicine, and its effect on the medical faculty appointment process, as well as faculty duties. McClintock made hand-written transcripts of some newspaper articles, which are housed in the newspapers series. A list of lantern slides of medical faculty and buildings is housed in this collection and corresponds with a portion of the lantern slides housed in the Slide and Transparency Collections, RG 30.02.02.
- Creation: 1851-1949
- McClintock, John Thomas (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.
Biographical or Historical Information
John Thomas McClintock was born on June 7, 1873, in Burlington, Iowa. He received his A.B. degree from Parsons College in 1894 and his M.D. in 1898 from the State University of Iowa. Parsons College awarded him the honorary D.Sc. degree in 1925.
Dr. McClintock served as demonstrator in Pathology and Bacteriology, as well as in Anatomy, at the SUI Department of Medicine (later the College of Medicine) from 1897 to 1901. He was on leave during 1901 to 1902 in order to study at the University of Vienna and the University of Berlin, followed by the University of Leipzig.
Upon his return to SUI, McClintock served as assistant professor of Physiology. He was named full professor in 1903. During 1910 to 1911, he was acting vice-dean of the College of Medicine, and was junior-dean from 1913 to 1933. Henry Spencer Houghton resigned as dean of the College of Medicine in 1933 and the college did not appoint a replacement for two years. During this time, McClintock served as chair of the Interim Administrative Committee, which carried out the duties of dean. McClintock served as acting head of the Physiology Department in 1902, until he was named head in 1904, a position he held until July 1, 1944, when he was succeeded as head of physiology by Dr. Harry M. Hines. McClintock continued to work part-time as professor of Physiology and as Director of the Physiology-Pharmacology Shop until 1953.
McClintock's service spanned the terms of nine SUI presidents, from Charles A. Schaeffer through Virgil M. Hancher. During his career, McClintock established the Museum of Medical History in the Department of Medicine. That museum is currently located in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. McClintock served as chair of the Council of the Association of American Medical Colleges. He was also chair of the planning committee for a 75th anniversary celebration of the College of Medicine, held in 1945.
McClintock married Beulah George on June 20, 1900, and they had two sons, John Calvin and James Phillips. John T. McClintock died on September 24, 1955.
Denise Anderson, September 2009
0.50 Linear Feet
Head of Psysiology Department from 1904 to 1944. Established the Museum of Medical History. Correspondence and biographical sketches relating to the College of Medicine.
Physical Access Requirements
The University of Iowa Libraries supports access to the materials, published and unpublished, in its collections. Nonetheless, access to some items may be restricted by their fragile condition or by contractual agreement with donors, and it may not be possible at all times to provide appropriate machinery for reading, viewing or accessing non-paper-based materials. Please read our Please read The University of Iowa Libraries' statement on Property Rights, usecoll Law, and Permissions to Use Unpublished Materials
Method of Acquisition
These materials were transferred to the University Archives prior to 1970. Finding aid created in September 2009.
- Denise Anderson, September 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note