Fort Madison Women's Club records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The Fort Madison Women's Club records date from 1957 to 1995 and measure 12.25 linear inches. The records are arranged in three series: Minute books, scrapbooks and photographs.
The ten Minute books (1962-1979) consist of detailed minutes recording organizational and business decisions, treasurer's reports and membership lists used for roll call at General meetings, and meetings of the Executive Board, the Division of Modern Living and the Junior Department.
The four Scrapbooks (1957-1995) contain newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, programs, project reports, certificates and other memorabilia that record the organization's club activities.
The Photographs series consists of images of scholarship recipients, officials, award ceremonies, and club activities. The photographs were found loose in the 1966-1976 scrapbook and have been placed in a separate folder. Photographs can also be found throughout the scrapbooks.
- Creation: 1957-1995
- Fort Madison Women's Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The first organizational meeting of the Women's Club of Fort Madison was held in the First Methodist Fellowship Hall in 1957. Within the same year the club was certified as a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. A complex system of departments and divisions consisted of the Department of American Home Life (1958-) with divisions of Consumer Education, Family Life and Welfare, and Gardens; the Department of International Affairs; the Department of Fine Arts with divisions of Bridge, Creative Writing, Art Appreciation, Ceramics (1958- ), Water Coloring, Music (1960- ), Oil Painting (1960- ), Spanish, and Drama (1964- ); the Department of Conservation; the Junior Department (for members under 30 years old); the Department of Education; and the Department of Public Affairs.
"The object of the organization," as stated in the Constitution and By-Laws, "shall be mutual help, intellectual improvement, social enjoyment, and a united effort for the general welfare of the community." Members participated in a variety of activities that included excursions, presentations, concerts, scholarship and community fundraising, lectures and monthly organizational meetings throughout an eight month club year that spanned October through May.
12.25 linear inches
Language of Materials
The club organized in 1957 with the objectives of social enjoyment, community service and intellectual improvement.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no.775 ) were donated by the Fort Madison Women's Club in 2001.
- Jun-Nicole Matsushita, 2003.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note