Greene Township Women's Club (Iowa County, Iowa) records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The Greene Township Women's Club records measure 3 linear inches and date from 1959 to 1996. They consist primarily of record books that contain minutes of meetings and occasional photographs for the period 1959-1996. Newspaper clippings and photographs complete this collection.
- Creation: 1959-1996
- Greene Township Women's Club (Iowa County, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Greene Township Women's Club is located in Iowa County near the border with Johnson and Washington Counties. Its members reported that the club began as a Farm Bureau township club, but no histories of the club are available. Its oldest member Lois Eckhardt kept records dating from October 2, 1959 in her possession. At some point, the club dropped its affiliation with the Farm Bureau while remaining a social club. Club meetings were a major social event for the women where they could work together to help the community and accomplish goals, socialize, and share common interests such as sewing, cooking, and gardening.
Several members of long standing are Mennonites and mix easily with other neighborhood members. Several members have left farming but continue to come to meetings to visit with old neighbors. None of the members reported having gone to college or traveled or lived far from Greene Township. (Information in this history was obtained by archivist Doris Malkmus while visiting with club members at their annual quilting bee meeting in February 1999.)
3.00 linear inches
Language of Materials
Social club of Iowa County farmwomen that began as a Farm Bureau club but later dropped that affiliation.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 593) were donated by Greene Township Women's Club in 1999.
Genre / Form
- Andrea Rasmusson, 2001.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note