Hartupee Social Club records
Scope and Contents
The Hartupee Social Club records measure eight linear inches and date from 1930-1995. They consist of minutes of meetings (1930-2003). Membership lists, a history of the club, and correspondence complete this collection. The history of the Hartupee Social Club describes the major events that formed and changed the club through the years and contains members lists, the club's by-laws and constitution, and histories of the club written by former members.
- Hartupee Social Club (West Liberty, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Hartupee Social Club was founded October 2, 1930 in West Liberty, Iowa. The name Hartupee originated from a country schoolhouse built on the corner of Will Hartupee's farm in the rural neighborhoods of Hartupee and Prairie Grove, where the club women lived. The club was organized so neighborhood women and their children could come together and socialize. In early meetings the women brought husbands and held card parties in members' homes. When the club became too big parties were held at the West Liberty legion hall. Club meetings were a major social event for the women where they could work together to help the community and accomplish goals, socialize, and share common interests.
Beginning in the 1950s the club toured nearby towns and cities and occasionally met with other clubs. Over the years the club sent Christmas gifts to the University of Iowa Children's Hospital and the Cedar County Home. The club became smaller in later years due to the declining farm population and the increase in women working outside the home. As of 1990, 137 women answered the club's roll call at one time or another.
8.00 linear inches
Language of Materials
Social club organized in 1930 by rural women living near West Liberty, Iowa.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 737) were donated by Betty Elder in 2000.
- Andrea Rasmusson, 2001; Katie Gandhi, 2017
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note