Lowell Club (Boone, Iowa) records
Scope and Contents
The Lowell Club records measure 2 linear inches and consist of a centennial notebook prepared as a celebration of the Club's hundredth anniversary in 1987. The notebook is a photocopy of the original, including newspaper clippings, photographs, magazine articles, and biographies of the club's members. The biographies illustrate the activities of the women involved and highlight the role of women in the early years of the club to the present day. Much of the material deals with the town of Boone, Iowa, which was founded in 1865. In addition to the photocopies, there are color photographs of current members in period costumes taken at the anniversary celebration held in the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace in Boone.
- Lowell Club (Boone, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
Lowell Club was formed in Boone, Iowa, in 1887 as The Reading Circle, changing its name to The Lowell Chautauqua Circle in 1891. In 1895 it assumed its present name, Lowell Club. The Lowell Club was a charter member of the Iowa State Federation of Women's Clubs and sent delegates to the first state convention, which was held in 1892 in Marshalltown. Originally both men and women had gathered in the evenings to discuss articles that were of current interest. When the men bowed out, the women formed an afternoon reading circle in the spring of 1887. The women met weekly until the close of World War I in 1918, when for six months they met monthly, allowing more time for Red Cross and other community work. Today they meet twice a month, October through March. Most of the study of the group has been in history, literature, travel, and art.
2.00 linear inches
Photographs in box 1 boxes
Language of Materials
Study club founded in 1887.
Method of Acquisition
The papers (donor no. 149) were donated by Elaine M. Anderson in 1993.
- Robert J. Jett, 1993.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note