Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract State-level branch of the national non-partisan League of Women Voters which seeks to promote political responsibility through educating and informing the public on selected governmental issues and promoting action on those issues. Arrangement 1971 Accession, 1917 to 1991 (boxes 1-61) Local leagues, 1939-1970 (boxes 1-5,19-32) Administrative, 1920-1968 (boxes 6-16) National, 1934-1966 (boxes 16-17) Iowa Voter, 1943-2001 (box 18) ...
Abstract Local branch of the national non-partisan League of Women Voters which seeks to promote political responsibility through educating and informing the public on selected governmental issues and promoting action on those issues.
Abstract This non-partisan group studied and acted upon the many local issues including the following: the council-manager form of city government, home rule for local and county government, reapportionment of legislative districts of the Iowa General Assembly, desegregation and integration of Des Moines public schools, and the need for affordable housing in the community.
Abstract The league has been involved in various projects and studies throughout its history, reflecting changing political issues while maintaining a core concern for the community of Mount Vernon.
Abstract During the 1980s and 1990s, the LWV of Muscatine conducted a number of studies on Muscatine county issues, including the ambulance 911 system, law enforcement, county courthouse space needs, alternative forms of county government, housing, education, land use, hazardous waste, local option tax, the U.S. Highway 61 Bypass, and the Muscatine fire station.
Abstract Includes ERA campaign material.
Abstract The group was formed in 1973. The purpose of the group was to improve and expand the role of women in society and it supported the Equal Rights Amendment, safe and legal abortion among other issues.
- Photographs 6
- 20th century 5
- Local government 5
- Sound recordings 5
- Video recordings 4
- 2001-2010 3
- Cultural artifacts 3
- Iowa 3
- Scrapbooks 3
- 1971-1980 2
- 1981-1990 2
- Equal rights amendments 2
- Federal government 2
- Women's rights 2
- 1991-2000 1
- Abortion 1
- Affirmative action programs 1
- Ames (Iowa) 1
- Civil rights demonstrations 1
- Des Moines (Iowa) 1
- Discrimination in employment 1
- Dubuque (Iowa) 1
- Feminism 1
- Human capital 1
- Johnson County (Iowa) 1
- Lisbon (Iowa) 1
- Mount Vernon (Iowa) 1
- Muscatine (Iowa) 1
- Muscatine County (Iowa) 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Slides (photographs) 1
- Taxation 1
- Voting 1 ∧ less
- English 5
- National Organization for Women. Iowa 2
- Goldsmith, Judith 1
- Hutchison, Sherry 1
- League of Women Voters of Iowa 1
- League of Women Voters of Johnson County, Iowa 1
- League of Women Voters of Metropolitan Des Moines 1
- League of Women Voters of Mount Vernon-Lisbon 1
- League of Women Voters of Muscatine, Iowa 1
- National Organization for Women 1
- National Organization for Women. Ames Chapter 1
- National Organization for Women. Dubuque Chapter 1
- National Organization for Women. Johnson County-Iowa City Chapter 1 ∧ less