International Women's Club (Iowa City, Iowa)
Established in 1959, the International Wives Club's stated purpose was to "carry on an informal social program of activities of interest to housewives and mothers the world around." It was affiliated with the University of Iowa Office of International Students and Scholars, and remains affiliated with the University of Iowa International Programs, but it is run entirely by volunteer members. In 1978, members voted to change the organization's name to the International Women's Club. The International Women's Club describes itself today as "...a group of women from the U.S.A. and around the world who share activities that promote friendship and understanding." Membership is open to all women, and by extension their families, who are often included in group activities. There are several different interest groups, and members may attend whichever they choose: an excursion group that visits events and sites in the Iowa City area, a cooking demonstration group, supper and lunch clubs, a morning coffee group, a craft group, and a ten-week English class offered in both fall and spring semesters. Past activities have also included progressive dinners, potlucks, and fashion shows.