International Women's Club records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The International Women's Club records date from 1959-2000 and are organized into a single series, Chronological Files, which is then separated into Club records, Survey, and Photographs; within these subdivisions, materials are organized chronologically by academic year.
The Club Records include the original charter, monthly newsletters, calendars of events, lists of members, newspaper articles, minutes, and applications, as well as a few photographs.
Also documented is the group's 1995 member survey, including a copy of the participant solicitation, survey instrument, and a summary of the survey results. Photographs include images taken at group social events and outings.
- Creation: 1959-2000
- International Women's Club (Iowa City, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
Established in 1959, the International Wives Club's stated purpose was to "carry on an informal social program of activities of interest to housewives and mothers the world around." It was affiliated with the University of Iowa Office of International Students and Scholars, and remains affiliated with the University of Iowa International Programs, but it is run entirely by volunteer members. In 1978, members voted to change the organization's name to the International Women's Club.
The International Women's Club describes itself today as "...a group of women from the U.S.A. and around the world who share activities that promote friendship and understanding." Membership is open to all women, and by extension their families, who are often included in group activities. There are several different interest groups, and members may attend whichever they choose: an excursion group that visits events and sites in the Iowa City area, a cooking demonstration group, supper and lunch clubs, a morning coffee group, a craft group, and a ten-week English class offered in both fall and spring semesters. Past activities have also included progressive dinners, potlucks, and fashion shows.
18.00 linear inches
Photographs in boxes 3 and 4. boxes
Language of Materials
Iowa City group promoting friendship and understanding among women from around the world and the United States of America.
Method of Acquisition
The papers (donor no. 1221) were donated by the International Women's Club in 2010 and subsequent years.
Genre / Form
- Billie Cotterman, Maggie Halterman
- Language of description
- Script of description