Sisters of St. Francis (Bancroft, Iowa)
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Family settled in Bancroft, Iowa, in September 1900. Originally from Dubuque, Iowa, the Sisters relocated to Bancroft at the request of the first pastor of the new parish in Bancroft, Reverend Anthony J. Schemmel. The Sisters had been asked to assist in establishing a new parochial school in Bancroft to be called St. John's to help with teaching duties. St. John's began with an enrollment of 133 elementary and high school students, which increased over the years. The faculty was originally composed entirely of nuns, but by 1992 only one remained on staff.
In addition to their teaching duties, the Sisters visited other parishes and convents; attended retreats, seminars, and conventions; and took part in social events such as dinners, showers, and parties. In 1970 the Sisters attended a meeting of area dioceses during which the Sioux City Diocesan Association of Women Religious was formed. The Sisters of St. Francis were founding members of this association.