Sisters of St. Francis (Bancroft, Iowa) records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The records are divided into three series: Annals, Announcements and annals guidelines, and Photographs.
The Annals series (1900-1992) consists of four annals compiled by the Sisters for the Office of Archives of the Diocese. The early annals list school relate information about such subjects as faculty members, student enrollment, and commencement exercises but also include parish material listing newly inducted sisters and visits to and from other area parishes. The later annals also contain administrative and parish information. Beginning in 1973 monthly dates of events are listed.
The Announcements and annals guidelines series (1976-1977) contains a copy of a financial notice sent by the Sisters to their community to show their need for financial support, a wake bulletin for departed sister Mary Tarcisia Scherbring, and a list of guidelines on creating annals, which was sent to the Sisters by the Office of the Archiveso f the Diocese.
The Photographs series(1984) consists of two photographs, one featuring the Sisters and students cleaning the school after an annual bazaar, and the other depicting a Sister at a Christmas assembly.
- Creation: 1900-1992
- Sisters of St. Francis (Bancroft, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Family settled in Bancroft, Iowa, in September 1900. Originally from Dubuque, Iowa, the Sisters relocated to Bancroft at the request of the first pastor of the new parish in Bancroft, Reverend Anthony J. Schemmel. The Sisters had been asked to assist in establishing a new parochial school in Bancroft to be called St. John's to help with teaching duties.
St. John's began with an enrollment of 133 elementary and high school students, which increased over the years. The faculty was originally composed entirely of nuns, but by 1992 only one remained on staff. In addition to their teaching duties, the Sisters visited other parishes and convents; attended retreats, seminars, and conventions; and took part in social events such as dinners, showers, and parties.
In 1970 the Sisters attended a meeting of area dioceses during which the Sioux City Diocesan Association of Women Religious was formed. The Sisters of St. Francis were founding members of this association.
1.50 linear inches
Language of Materials
Religious order that helped to establish a school in St. John's Parish, Bancroft, Iowa in 1900.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 184) were donated by the Sioux City Diocese Commission on Women in Church and Society.
Genre / Form
- Angelisa Rowland, 1997.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note