Clionian Club (Davenport, Iowa)
The Clionian Club originated in 1874 as a women's study group in Davenport, Iowa. The club, originally called the Clionian Society, took its name from the Greek muse of literature, Clio. The club initially met twice a month, to discuss literature and hear programs on various topics that the members had researched. The club was also involved in charitable works in the community. As more women entered the work force in the 1940s and 1950s the membership began to decline. The club remained active until 1990.