The Clionian Club (Davenport, Iowa) records
Scope and Contents
The Clionian Club of Davenport, Iowa, records date from 1874 to 1996 and measure 1 linear foot. The records are arranged alphabetically ending with one photograph and one artifact out of alphabetical order.
The documents span the entire history of the club. The record books contain minutes dating from the first meeting in 1874 through 1990. The year books list the scheduled meetings throughout the years from the 1920s to the 1990s. Also contained are the by-laws of the club, a partial list of the membership and their elected roles, scrapbooks, the treasurers records and a few pieces of correspondence.
The Programs and events (1941-1954) contains a series of programs given during the club's fiftieth anniversary, five presentations by Laura Larenzen and a radio address about the club's history given by Edna Geisler.
The photograph was taken at the diamond jubilee in 1949 and depicts five members in costume. The artifact is a brass hammer presented to the club in 1929 by Mrs. Murdoch to be used as a gavel.
- Clionian Club (Davenport, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Clionian Club originated in 1874 as a women's study group in Davenport, Iowa. The club, originally called the Clionian Society, took its name from the Greek muse of literature, Clio. The club initially met twice a month, to discuss literature and hear programs on various topics that the members had researched. The club was also involved in charitable works in the community. As more women entered the work force in the 1940s and 1950s the membership began to decline. The club remained active until 1990.
1.00 Linear Feet
Artifacts in Box 4 boxes
Language of Materials
Women's study group which originated in 1874.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 363) were donated by Edna Gord in 1996.
- Randel W. Lackore, 1997.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note