Tennyson Study Club (Marion, Iowa) records
Please navigate to collection organization to place requests.
Scope and Contents
The Tennyson Study Club records date from 1932 to 1981 and measure 7.5 linear inches. The records are arranged in 3 series: Historical information, Administration and Club activities.
The Historical information (1932-1968) series consists of a notebook with a handwritten summary of the club's history and a certificate of membership to the General Federation of Women's Clubs, dated December 20, 1938.
The Administration series (1932-1983) is comprised of financial records, membership lists, and meeting minutes, as well as drafts of the Tennyson Study Club's constitution.
The Club activities (1938-1981) series includes yearbooks listing programs and topics that were studied and discussed by club members over a forty-year period. Also included in this series is a scrapbook containing newspaper clippings, correspondence, awards, programs, and thank you notes from various charitable organizations such as Easterseals Iowa.
- Creation: 1932-1981
- Tennyson Study Club (Marion, Iowa) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright held by the donor has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
However, copyright status for some collection materials may be unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owner. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility and potential liability based on copyright infringement for any use rests exclusively and solely with the user. Users must properly acknowledge the Iowa Women’s Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, as the source of the material. For further information, visit https://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/services/rights/
Biographical / Historical
The Tennyson Study Club was founded on May 19, 1932 when a group of women met in the Marion Public Library to form a club dedicated to the study of Alfred Tennyson. They appointed Mrs. K. M. Saunders as the first president and decided that the club's flower would be the daffodil, its colors green and yellow, and its motto, "Better not be at all than not to be noble." The Tennyson Study Club affiliated with the General Federation of Women's Clubs in 1938. Initially, meetings focused on discussion of the poetic works of Tennyson. The club also regularly contributed to charitable organizations and in later years shifted its focus towards community-based activism, particularly between 1956 and 1960 when it took up the issue of animal cruelty. In 1958, Tennyson Study Club received the Community Achievement Contest Award of the General Federation of Women's Clubs.
7.50 linear inches
Language of Materials
Study club founded in 1932 to discuss works by Alfred Tennyson; it later expanded its focus to include charitable and community-based activities.
Method of Acquisition
The records (donor no. 1093) were donated by Pat Klopfenstein in 2007.
- Rosemary Riess, 2010
- Language of description
- Script of description